Hello!

Welcome to the honeymoon blog of the new Mr and Mrs Frank! We want to say a huge thank you to all of you for joining in our wedding celebrations... and an even bigger thank you for all your generous contributions towards our honeymoon fund. We'll be using this site to keep you all up to date with our round the world adventure. Keep logging on to see what we're up to (while you're at work in the cold - tee hee!)

Sunday 23 January 2011

Day 78

Tuesday 18th January 2011

Another day, another stinking hangover. This honeymoon certainly started off slowly in terms of nights out and drunken antics but South East Asia is providing them in abundance!

I recognised the mosquito net through my bleary eyes which staved off another vision based panic attack and rose slowly from the pit. I held my head hoping that this might make things better. It didn’t. We finally got out of the apartment for 11:30, our breakfast in the hotel finished at 10:30 so we ventured out into town. Over “breakfast” (a beef burger a piece in the Aussie bar) we decided that there was almost nothing else to do in this town apart from drink so we ordered two more beers and declared that we would go back down to the river this afternoon to continue partying. We also decided that we probably didn’t require tubes today. If it was absolutely necessary to get in the water we would just float to next bar ourselves.

Before the mayhem commenced again there were some other matters to attend to. I needed ANOTHER pair of sunglasses; my latest purchase had a new home at the bottom of the Nam Song River. We also needed to sort out how we were going to get to Vientiane tomorrow, purchase some “I went tubing in Vang Vieng” T-shirts as keepsakes and well maybe a waterproof bag to keep stuff dry should we be required to swim, probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either.



Before the mayhem commenced again there were some other matters to attend to. I needed ANOTHER pair of sunglasses; my latest purchase had a new home at the bottom of the Nam Song River. We also needed to sort out how we were going to get to Vientiane tomorrow, purchase some “I went tubing in Vang Vieng” T-shirts as keepsakes and well maybe a waterproof bag to keep stuff dry should we be required to swim, probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

We stopped in at the travel shop to enquire about the option of Kayaking to Vientiane. The taxi ride from there to here had put us off doing it again in case another family of Laotians accompanied us on our journey. The price for the Kayaking seemed fair and we were informed that it would be about 80% Kayaking and 20% in the trucks. Deal!

We wouldn’t find out until tomorrow what a blatant lie that was, just how naive we are is staggering sometimes!

So that was the first thing sorted and a deposit paid. I searched for some sunglasses which are in every shop on the street but just couldn’t find a pair I liked, Suz was getting irked and said “oh what does it bloody matter, you’ll need another pair in two days. You might as well just buy these” (pointing at some green and yellow “Raybans”) so I did.

We purchased our T-shirts (vest for Suz) and a yellow dry bag and hot footed it back to the room to get changed. Now dressed in our new attire, we hailed a Tuk Tuk and asked to be taken to the start of the river.



He dropped us at the start where you can walk to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th bars if you want, the party seemed to be up to bar number 2 at this point so being sober and a little delicate we opted for bar 3 in the hope that we would be feeling a bit more “up for it” by the time the party reached us. We needn’t have worried. We walked into the third bar and bumped straight into the same bunch we were drinking with yesterday. Within the first twenty minutes we had drank 2 cans and 4 shots each and were heavily involved in a game of beer ping pong (I’ll explain when I get home).


We all learnt the dance to “we no speak Americano” (we’ll show you when we get home) and all was right with the world. We had another few drinks in bar three and then moved down the river.



Some of our group were “tubing” again today so they jumped into the river and announced that they would meet us downstream. We walked to the fourth bar but the lads were nowhere to be seen. Janette had offered to look after their money and feeling guilty walked down to some further bars to see if she could find them. We stayed put and got some more beers in. The music was great in there and before long everyone was singing at top note and dancing the day away and before long Janetee returned with the boys.



Suz was propped up at the end of the “dancefloor” overlooking the river and I remember thinking “I hope she doesn’t fall in”. About twenty minutes after this thought occurred to me Suz shouted my name in a panicked style. I whipped my head round and Suz had a look of shear horror on her face,

Me: “what’s up? What’s wrong?

Suz “I’ve just thrown the camera in the river”

I looked over the edge and sure enough our much loved camera was staring back at me from the bottom of the river. Luckily it was near the edges and one of the guys fished it out for me, but it wasn’t working, wouldn’t switch on and we just had to hope that today’s pictures were saved.

Me: “what did you do that for??!!??”

Suz: “well, you know how I’m a stickler for always having that loop around my wrist, well I had it around my wrist and then some people went by on tubes and I went to wave and it just came off and went plop”

Me: “great”

So the Sony camera was dead.

We carried on the party until the sun went down and then all got a Tuk Tuk back into town. Everyone fancied an Indian so we all piled in the one opposite from the one me and Suz had tried the night before. We were all extremely intoxicated and continued to sing any song that came to mind, a girl from the table behind us turned round in a rare quiet moment and asked us to calmed down and keep quiet. We all laughed so hard she got up and left. Queue an impromptu and rather rousing rendition of “hit the road Jack”.

From there we went around the corner to another bar. I decided that it was time for some buckets and entered into a killer pool competition too. The rest of the night is a bit of a blur, I remember blaming the pool table for my defeat and then having to lift an unconscious Darren off a bench onto his feet so that Suz and Janettte could carry him home. We met a bloke from Manchester who looked remarkably like my cousin Ian and had a few more drinks with him and then I believe we made our way home.

(obviously there is no pictorial evidence of any of this due to Suz trying to skim the camera across the river)





No comments:

Post a Comment